The Definition of Sustainability
What is Sustainability?
The terms Sustainable and Sustainability are used to describe many different approaches toward improving our way of life. Sustainability does not (and should not) have a rigid definition. Here are some views of what Sustainability can encompass…
- Sustainability means reducing our harm on the environment and ultimately reversing the harm we have already caused.
- Sustainability means renewing resources at a rate equal to or greater than the rate at which they are consumed.
- Sustainability means living within the resources of the planet without damaging the environment now or in the future.
- Sustainability means creating an economic system that provides for quality of life while renewing the environment and its resources.
- A sustainable community is one that resembles a living system where all of the resources (human, natural, and economic) are renewed and in balance for perpetuity.
- Sustainability is creating a world where everyone can have fulfilling lives and enjoy a rich level of well-being within the limits of what nature can provide.
- Sustainability means taking the long-term view of how our actions effect future generations and making sure we don't deplete resources or cause pollution at rates faster than the earth is able to renew them.
- Sustainability means living a life of dignity in harmony with nature.
- Some of the many uses of the word sustainable include: Sustainable Business / Sustainable Development / Sustainable Agriculture / Sustainable Living / Sustainable Community.